Monday, February 8, 2010

The Pain and Lessons of Being Tested in Adversity

Pain mortalises us. It makes us feel alive. That is why we talk about expressions such as touch a nerve, expose a nerve, nervous, and all nerves.

Yesterday, my Band of Merry Riders (no ladies opted in for this trip) went for one of our longest rides. Certainly, it was my longest I have ridden on my trusty carbon steed. My bike has since left our earthly world for the ethereal bike circuit. Why do riders call my bike totaled when it is not totally in on piece?

I thank my readers for their comments and positive thoughts. Never have I gotten so many comments. Thank you for caring. I assure you that I won’t make this a habit!

Brand Tribes featured a bit about adversity that connects with resilience. Adversity is about how we are able to take on challenges, crisis, shock, and unimaginable tests. Life throws us its curve balls; we never know what to expect at time. Life’s a pitch, and then you bat. You bat for your team, and you do your best whichever position you play. You take it – full on!

I think I may be tested; even if I did not see it coming. This is my adversity for now. I will have to take it – face on! No hesitation, no doubt, and no need to panic. In four weeks’ time, I will be in Taupo, New Zealand to complete an Ironman triathlon. I have to teach two classes from Wednesday to Friday. I conclude that I have no time to waste in licking my wounds – what’s done cannot be undone. There is just the learning to be processed, and reflect on the positives. We want to be realistic but not crippled by an event, delay, rejection or setback.

I am grateful for my Tribes: my Tribes of triathletes, friends, business associates, and hobbyists. I know I can rely on them, as they can rely on me. We share similar values, and how we connect with these. As I have never experienced this personal crisis before, my tribe of cyclists/friends is already advising me, assisting and guiding me through a somewhat foreign process of legality, legislation and law-of-the-land.

Good news: I admitted myself (as it was the sensible thing to do) into the A&E ward at Changi General Hospital again. Thankfully, my residual bleeding is nothing to be alarmed about (I had my first nosebleed last night, and it was frightful for me). I can pretty much begin exercise once the residue clears; just need to complete a course of antibiotics, just in case. One more check next week, and I should decide how badly I want to complete my ninth Ironman. I know I can complete it, yet I need to be considerate about those around. You take on adversity, not spread it around like pollen in the wind.

Live and learn! I look like Rocky Balboa in Round 1.

1 comment:

Matty Wong said...

Some 'battle' scars makes character of the person. Have a break for a week, you need to heal physically and mentally for the aftermath.

R.I.P Ordu you have served your master well...