Sunday, February 28, 2010

Last Ride Before The Big Show

This morning, I rode 75km with a few friends from the Triathlon Family Singapore. My purpose was to get my legs going, after an unexpected break from a road accident. I have not swam a stroke as I was advised by my sports-doctor, Ben Tan to not risk infection of my sinus (I have a fractured cheek bone) if I inhale water. This is one of several relative contraindications I am mindful of. I will, thus park myself from aggressive and enthusiastic swimmers who may pose a kick-in-my-face threat.

My old Orbea Vitesse was fitted with a Profile Design CX3 handlebar with aero-bars. My bike now looks ivory white, save for some dark tattoos that are part of its original identity. The last time I used this bike was in Ironman Korea in 2006. That race saw the swim cancelled at the last moment because of rain, strong winds and choppy waters.

I have noticed that my bike performs slower on the flat roads; it is utterly brilliant when taking the step slopes. This is due to my integration of a compact crank, which I never really used since I had it installed. I can live with this compromise of speed for ease of ascending slopes. I just need to spin like crazy. I trust my few years of high-cadence cycling will back me up when I need the speed.

Yesterday was Ironman Malaysia; it was a helpless and hopeless day to race due to the significant heat and humidity. Six days from now, Taupo will host Ironman New Zealand for more than two decades. I am excited to return, and enjoy a full race after fluke weather modified the Ironman triathlon into a biathlon. Once more, Ironman emcee Mike Rilley returns and I hope that he announces my name when I cross the line – hopefully, with daylight to spare.

I would cherish and lavish in his words: ‘Enrico Varella from Singapore – You’re an Ironman!’ Fingers crossed (Note to self: Stay away from packs of runners entering the finish chute).

3 comments:

BFG said...

All the best in IM Taupo!

Enrico Varella said...

Thank you, BFG!

Matty Wong said...

All the best in Taupo, i am sure Mike Riley will announce your name in daylight.

Looking forward to reading your updates.