1) Get a ‘what-to-bring’ list drawn up first.
2) Place your race-kit aside (racing attire, helmet, race-belt, shoes, heart-rate monitor, speedometer, Bento-box, sun-shades, wetsuit, Ziploc bags, and nutrition).
3) Check the condition of your race-kit for potential wardrobe malfunction or mechanical malfunction.
4) Bring extra socks, energy gels, goggles, and salt-tablets.
5) Pack your bike into bike-case (dismantle/loosen cockpit, saddle/seat-post, pedals).
6) Nutritional package for your Special Needs bag (including solid/comfort food to be purchased from the supermarket).
7) Prepare both wet-weather/cold-day attire and nutritional support.
8) Pack your tools in the bike-case (Allan-keys, spare-tubes/tyres, duct-tape/masking tape, foldable scissors, and old water-bottles to discard at aid-stations).
9) Re-check your list (see if you left out anything).
10) Buy your CO2 canisters at the race-fair (anything else, bring from home. Bring enough money for the pre-race and post-race merchandise shopping. If you are an iPod person, bring your digital music along.
While we are on the subject of preparation, here are some splendid short articles worth your attention.
What is like to complete a Deca-Ironman? Results of this year’s races here.