Monday, February 22, 2010

Led By Quick Fixes and Instant Gratification?

I have been widely exposed and bombarded by the strategies of online marketers (some do sell, of course). I have been impressed, inspired, confused, puzzled, insulted and stumped by the onslaught and assault of my senses and sensibility.

Here is one recent example of affiliate marketing:

“How to write and publish your own OUTRAGEOUSLY Profitable eBook in as little as 7 days – even if you can’t write, can’t type and failed high school English class!”

I like the blatant heading. I am not sure about how much the marketer can/will deliver.

What is the bottom line of this outrageous claim?

1) It is process-driven (‘how to’)

2) The headlines grabs your attention (in bold, large typeface, and CAPITALS)

3) Easy and convenience (people love to make things easy)

4) Do I suspect a subtext that says ‘Idiot-Proof’?

5) There is a promise or premise of ‘miracles’. Write in 7 Days. I’d rather 6 days, and rest the next. When I wrote 50,000 words in 30 days – I took pockets of breaks, some lasting a few days.

6) If you failed English, I would be wary of your communication. I can’t wait to send you e-mails and determine your comprehension.

7) Outrageously profitable? One sale? 10? 100? From zero profits to $10. That is outrageous for a clone letter that connects with the real masters of online communication. I would consider the guys on the upper rungs of the process.

8) Is this the death of face-to-face marketing and selling? The push and pull of commerce, business and trading. Is there no need to negotiate anymore?

9) In many countries, and educational systems, ‘if you can’t write, can’t type and failed high school English’ that would make you suitable uneducated, incompetent and a worry!

I wonder how readers would feel when they read the header. Do they feel assured? Will they feel comforted that there are people with language deficiencies? Will those who read the eBook be misled by the cleverly, formatted and chosen (I believe that is based on selection of words, if you cannot write well) language? Are readers stupid or gullible?

I always thought and believed that online content was king online? If eBooks are so easy to write, what about those sincere online authors whom genuinely offer useful material and guidance? I wonder how it would feel to be elbowed by these ‘week-old-authors’ who offer cloned, or pilfered material, or have their books written by ‘ghost writers’?

What about this heading instead?

“Learn to confidently write and publish your own eBook in about 30 days and help many others in the process.”

Let me know what you think.

No comments: