Sunday, November 8, 2009

Tapering: The Big Easy Before The Big Tough

This morning, I ran the 15km race in the New Balance Real Run. It took place at the Changi Exhibition Centre – a venue for the large-scale international aerospace show.

The dual-format event, comprising the 10km and the 15km runs, took place over a diverse menu of sandy trail, tar road, and sandy beach. There were adequate water-points, and it was tempting to skip them if you were on the ‘fast track yet I did not dare. I had to meander around runners in front, since I started way back behind the front, faster pack. Slowly, but surely I took advantage of every opportunity to overtake. I took it when I could take it (in terms of pace intensity).

I was pleased to hold a 4:30 pace for most of the distance, until I hit the 12km mark that brought us to a stretch of beach. Thus, I had to work harder on the soft sand (and the ambitious temperature) for a short distance – it was designed to fatigue us more. Fortunately, I was alert to notice and acknowledge familiar faces, and even ‘leave some in the tank’ to finish with a determined sprint. It was a rewarding morning despite the 7.30am start-off, and I secured personal best (PB) times in my 10km, 11km and 15km. It has been a good week of tapering and unofficial PBs. Thanks Reeves and SK for keeping me company, and for our minor celebration afterwards.

Read this article on Forbes about the parallels between great athletes and executives.

Leadership Lessons: Know how to taper, as it helps you fine-tune your performance. Learning to do less is to appreciate doing more. In Systems Thinking, less can be more; slow can be fast. Live and learn.

No comments: