Friday, November 20, 2009

It's Great to Be Back

I touched down about 6.40am this morning. I had sat on two flights, with a cumulative time of 19 hours. Sitting in compression tights (Skins) does help minimise stiffness in my legs, and the likelihood of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). The cold and crispy air in New York City feels like a shadow now in this warm and humid environment. That was what I experienced the moment I left Terminal 3, of our spanking new Changi International Airport.

On board, I wrote a fair bit in my diary. These were mostly ideas for my novel, blog, my travel experiences, and a few magical illusions I have been playing with in my head. I spent an evening with New York's finest magicians at the longest-running, off-Broadway, Monday Night Magic show. My friend, Prakash Puru has been working there as a full-time close-up magician for the past six years. I was glad to catch up with him, and a few other New York friends.

Status check: I have to post a week's worth of blogs (based on my observations on my travels), go on a writer's marathon (behind on my NaNoWriMo novel), write a few training manuals, and plan for a teaching gig in Taipeh next month. Plus, the Standard Chartered Marathon will take place in a fortnight's time.

It is great to be back! Routine, habits and mundaneness can be assuring. Leading in your time and making decisions will jump-start any sloth-like behavior. Plus, the local gastronomic delights comprising spicy food, rice and noodles are what I have been yearning. You can't take the Asian out of the international traveller.

No comments: