Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Jet Lag and Lagging Behind

It took nearly three days for me to get over my recent jet lag. Most people say that it is much harder to get over jet lag when you come back. I can agree with that observation.

What was most challenging about being away for some time is that your priorities shift, and work can pile up and upset your equilibrium. Vacation is a time to slow down, if not shut down completely from work. It’s a little harder when you are self-employed and run your own business.

On returning, I found out that I had enquiries for projects; I had to complete writing some manuals; update my blog, and finish writing my book. It has been an exciting 72 hours since I arrived home.

You can experience lag, but you may not want to lag behind in important things. We have life-work choice, or work-life choice depending on your priority. In life-work choice, you choose life before work. So, your lifestyle takes precedence over work. Turning down work is a luxury I afford myself sometimes. There is an opportunity cost, and financial loss for each of this business decisions. However, these are based on intellectual and emotional considerations.

Leaders lead regardless of their conditions and consequence. Avoid being a laggard and slowing other people down. If you are slow, speed things up and you’ll get back to normalcy soon. Adopt a sense of urgency and reset your sense of timing for your tasks, projects and relationships.

No comments: