Monday, November 16, 2009

Lessons in Humility: Meeting the Champions

I was on Super Shuttle ride to my motel for the Ironman 70.3 race in Clearwater, Florida. Interestingly, former-world 70.3 champion Mirinda Carfrae was seated next to me; a Canadian participant in our vehicle hinted to me who she was. I have read much about Carfrae, and true to race reports, she was very nice, amiable and chatted with us throughout the, otherwise, unspectacular journey. Carfrae is petite, yet do not let her appearance fool you. She is a very powerful 28-year-old athlete, who took second at the World Championships at Kona a month ago.

Kenneth Tan and I met Craig 'Crowie' Alexander at the race-fair. We got his autograph and took photographs (an achievement for me) with him. Like Carfrae, he is a nice athlete who takes time to chat with you. I hope the Kona champion (two in a row) will race again at the Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore in March 2010. In fact, it would be great if both Australians do race in sunny and humid Singapore; they will add colour and positive racing energies to this world-class event.

I also had the pleasure to say 'hello' to Sister Madonna Budder on both the bike and run legs. She is awesome! At 79 years, she is as energetic and enthusiastic as ever. I hope to see her soon.

All athletes mentioned demonstrated humility - a key quality of people who are likable, and respected by others. If service people add humility to their daily approach, it will raise the level of service delivery. More about service soon. Have a good day everyone.

1 comment:

Lim Leong, Reeves said...

To have humility in our lives to serve others is so important. You hit the bulls eye EV. No matter how great we are, there is always room to accomodate others. Too often the highly educated, the rich and the gifted find it hard to be humble, what a shame. To have added humility capacity is to have more rooom to learn and grow. See you back home soon.