Friday, February 18, 2011

Using Scales for Excelling

‘Measure, measure, measure! What you can measure you can manage.’ ~ Peter Drucker.

I learnt very early in sports about the relevance of measurement. In bodybuilding, I learnt about how I progressed in muscular develop with three measuring techniques: measuring tape, weighing-scale, pinch test (for fat), and use of the mirror. My almost-obsessive approach to this arsenal of measures led me to qualify for the national squad (B team) that was a great personal achievement.

As a runner, I learnt to use a tool called the Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) where I could self-assess my intensity of training with a scale of 1 to 10. Done on the fly, ad hoc, I could decide how I felt by an arbitrary scale. With a heart-rate monitor (HRM), both methods complement each other when one is suspect. Sometimes, you feel great although the HRM shows that you are off the charts with your heart-rate zones.

In the Solutions Focused approach to coaching or therapy, scales are also used. Here, the client is asked where they rate themselves on a scale of 0-10 for a situation. Instead of making a big leap of faith, the client is requested to think about what they could do (in terms of behaviors) to improve their position by one level.

How often do you measure your performance? How do you rate your team member’s performance? How consistent are you in your observation and assessment of your people? In business, when do you know to scale up? Which are the conditions for scaling down your efforts when results do not go your way?

No comments: