Friday, February 25, 2011

Less May Be More For the Masters-Level Athlete

I have been researching extensively on Masters-level endurance training. An article from a 2006 issue of Triathlete magazine got me thinking seriously about mileage and intensity. Briefly, over-40-years-old triathletes could benefit more from lesser mileage and greater intensity. I have been applying it after I spoke to a former-professional triathlete at last year’s IMWA, who claimed that his charges benefitted more from significantly shorter workouts with more intensity. The Australian, Ironman Western Australian champion Charlotte Paul’s husband, is a Trigger Point Therapy expert and he touted runs of not more than 2 hours and rides not exceeding 3 hours. He focused on quality over quantity.

I had a bad spate of joint injuries ONLY A MONTH AFTER my first 84K ultra-marathon last year. Part of my healing strategy was to strengthen the muscles of my ankles, feet and knee. Thus, I focused on core stability and core strength work, kept up my regular massages, and rode on a well-fitted bike. My strategy for training for a marathon soon after Ironman Western Australia 2010 was:

1)    Unshod running (Vibram Five Fingers) twice a week for about 45-60 minutes (@ 5:10-5:45”/K pace).
2)    Two CrossFit/circuit training sessions weekly (comprising 3 sets of 4 key, gross muscles exercises, i.e. 12 chin-ups, 25 pushups, bench step-ups X 20 each leg, and parallel-bar walk X 2).
3)    One long run, one medium distance run, and one or two 10K runs each week. Total mileage between 40-50K with tempo run or intervals.
4)    One time trial held every 7-10 days. Before the Hong Kong Marathon, I completed a Duathlon (10K run, 36K ride, 5K run), 5K time trial/qualifying run, and two in-training time trials for 11K and 21K.
5)    Cross training with swimming and riding; mostly, maintenance work.
6)    More speed and strength work instead of purely endurance workouts.
7)    ZERO hill-work.
8)    Nutritional support as per race day (one energy-gel/sports drink every 6K or 25 minutes, and two cups of water at every aid-station)
9)    Sleep 6-8 hours per night (crucial for complete recovery after intense training).
10) Fortnightly deep tissue massage with my physiotherapists.
My verdict: So far, so very effective. Wayne Kurtz’s book is out now. Head over to Amazon.com to order your copy!
 Photo-credit: My link-up with personal trainer, run coach and Boston marathoner finisher, Ben Swee after the HK Marathon.

No comments: