Friday, February 18, 2011

Affirmations: Making Peace With Yourself

'Keep feeding. Keep drinking. Keep moving.' PAM REED, 2-times Badwater Ultramarathon winner

I thrive on my own private army of paranoias; one of which has to do with staying hydrated during all my races. My first biathlon, and ensuing heat disorder, led me to humbly respect my body’s need for fluid when I am exercising. Pam Reed’s quotation has become my personal mantra. I was also drawn to a t-shirt advertisement in an old triathlon magazine. It showed samples of tees plastered with words such as ‘Never Give Up’, and ‘Pure Concrete’.

I use affirmations, although I am not heavy on mantras. I adore short brand slogans as they express and impress. Phrases like Impossible is Nothing and Just Do It are priceless scripts. No wonder they are trademarked, intellectual property. When we use these brands, we represent ourselves with their glowing tag-lines.
I recalled, years ago, I read a book ‘The Little Engine That Could’ and the mantras ‘I think I can, I think I can…’ and ‘I thought I could, I thought I could…’ delivered in fire-engine style stuck with me.

Runner’s World featured an article recently about the use of positive affirmations for training and racing. When going through the grind, these personal words of encouragement can have a sustaining effect on our performance.

In business, entrepreneurial mavericks like Sir Richard Branson author books with significant titles like ‘Virgin’ and ‘Screw It. Just Do It.’ Which are your favourite affirmations? Which will be your personal tagline that you live by?

Picture credit: 1954 edition with illustrations by George and Doris Hauman.

No comments: