Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Making the Time to Eat, Pray & Love

No, I did not watch the Julia Roberts’s film. However, the title of the indulgent book gives food for thought, where lifestyle balance is concerned. To eat, to pray and to love: can be done in private, or within a group. It is a mysterious title, isn’t it?

I continue to preach and praise those who commit to the One-Hour Challenge. Give yourself 60 minutes, and measure what you can do, or complete a fairly difficult task. This morning, I wrote up a bunch of invoices, completed writing one training module, and answered priority e-mails, and still had time to read one blog.

Andrew and Hui Koon (via a blog comment) invited me to train with them, however their running locations are far from where I live. I will give it serious consideration though, since I am keen to improve my timing by a wider margin of terror. Yesterday’s time trial rejuvenated my latent interest for cross-country racing. I used to, consistently, post sub-20 minutes for the 4.8K Macritchie route when I was in secondary school and pre-university. I missed those days of unbridled and reckless running.

This afternoon, I rode for an hour focused on being comfortable on my bike. I then did a short CrossFit session: 2 set of each (20 elevated pushups, 10-12 chin-ups, 40 step-ups on bench, one parallel bar walk) with a minute rest between. That was enough to get me winded and fatigued with my upper body all pumped up. That was a full investment of the 90 minutes I gave myself for fear of procrastinating it away.
*****
I headed for the Janet Jackson concert at the Singapore Indoor Stadium; it started one hour late, however I was suitably entertained. I had my share of local celebrity watch, even taking a photo for MTV-jay, Utt (who thanked me). More ‘can you take a photo for us?’ followed, which was fine with me since I expected the concert to start late. I was also seated next to the unofficial Janet Jackson fan-club as they waved their banner loyally for their idol, while I was occasionally wrapped in the fabric and their overwhelming enthusiasm. Monday evening traffic and parking was a bitch, thus the big delay for early-birds. Ms Jackson did not disappoint as she sang and danced to all 30 of her chart-hits, albeit as a medley of songs strung seamlessly together. She sang, she danced and the decibels were way too high! I stuffed tissue wads into my ears after I experienced mild ringing. The bass was great, but the mid- and high frequencies were exceedingly stabbing. I missed the dateline for yesterday’s blog, so here I am.

No comments: