Thursday, February 17, 2011

A New Relatively Unsupported Pair of Shoes Runs Fast!

A new broom sweeps clean. Or, in contemporary terms, a new vacuum-cleaner sucks better.

This evening, I took my new pair of Newton Gravity shoes for its second run. I was mighty pleased when I ran a PB-in-training for my usual 11K route. I completed the run in about 47 minutes, sustaining a 4:20/minute pace. It was challenging to stop at one traffic light, weave around oblivious recreational cyclists, and running alone with my laboured breathing for company.

I am pleased that my anaerobic fitness has improved over the last duathlon and cross-country time trial. Hopefully, this newly found speed would see me through a decent marathon time in Hong Kong this Sunday: three bridges, one stuffy tunnel, and cold conditions. 

Elite Bicycle-sponsored athlete, Ashley Liew won his age-group at the TAS Duathlon held three weeks ago. Wayne Kurtz shares his thoughts about faster feet turnover, but watch your heart rate as you increase your cadence. My preference for training these days are:

1)    Unshod running (Vibram Five Fingers) twice a week for about 45-60 minutes, with forefoot landing and forward lean.
2)    Two CrossFit/circuit training sessions weekly (comprising 3-4 key, gross muscles exercises).
3)    One long run, one medium distance run, and one or two 10K runs each week.
4)    One time trial held every 7-10 days.
5)    Cross training with swimming and riding.
6)    More speed and strength work instead of purely endurance workouts.
We will be reviewing author and marketing guru, Guy Kawasaki’s latest book Enchantment in early-March. There might even be a bonus interview with Mr Kawasaki. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

All the best for HK marathon!

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks, Kev!

Am doing this rolling course for the first time, with some members of the Triathlon Family. This is part of my preparation for IM Lanzarote. See you at Singapore 70.3. Train safe and well!