Wednesday, August 11, 2010

That Fondly Familiar Feeling

This evening, I return from an 11km run with sore calves. I have been running ‘barefoot’ for a few sessions, with my thin-soled Vibram Five Fingers Bikila.

I did not experience an appreciable loss of speed. I ran at 4:55 minute/km pace, which was surprising. I was nursing my sore calves, triggered off by Sunday evening’s excursion to a new running route. Despite my discomfort and painfulness of my lower legs, I observe that my legs are stronger as I can do free-hand squats with stability. My core stability has also improved over the last three months. Other than a mildly clicking left ankle (old injury), there was no puffiness or pain with my knees.

As I hobbled along like a cripple for dinner tonight, an hour after I ceased running, I was reminded of my post-Ironman races. I tend to be an incapacitated mess 24-48 hours after the 226km challenge, especially my calves and thighs. Yet, days after I swore never to participate in such a race again, I invariably consider another triathlon or marathon. Unfortunately, I do not get addicted to the ‘runner’s high’ anymore – not that I don’t want it. It is purely a personal challenge and yearning for achievement.

I am certainly reminded of the tough training and sacrifices to be made yet these are not buried in the deep recess of my mind. They remain as memories and fond reminiscences. Pain and discomfort may not be deterrents, as they can be used as relevant lessons. That is what this blog is about – lessons from endurance sports like triathlons and corporate life.

How do you remind yourself to do your chores? How do you engage your discipline? How do you remind your team to do the necessary? What are your priorities?
I am reading ultra-marathoner and twice Badwater winner, Pam Reed’s biography The Extra Mile: One Woman's Personal Journey to Ultra-Running Greatness. It is very good and she wrote about her motivations to run well, and reminders about her eating disorder.

No comments: