Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Power and Purpose of Print

I am old-fashioned in many ways. I believe that every kid needs to get some fresh air and physical activity every day. Staying indoors to develop your intellectual prowess need not be limited to digital entertainment and online gaming.

I love print. I grew up reading as my preferred format for relative inactivity. My myopia may have been attributed to my lying on my back and holding my book above my head. I may have activated my core stability and strengthened it in the process, but I infer too much. The power of words and the stirring of my imagination in my youth, attest to my fondness to write books, articles, blogs and plays.

Subsequently, I created my opportunity to work in publishing and was on the beat as a trade reporter, working regionally on diverse industries such as sports, entertainment and processed food and beverage. It was coincidental that reporting on processed food and beverage industry led me to working in an international brewery. Yet, I digress.

I respect print as the press-machine was a major invention for humankind and it allowed education to spread. Paper was the other invention that provided a medium upon which we could hold - the predecessor of the 'hard copy'. The Guttenberg Press was the beginning of the information age as far as I am concerned.

Granted that new forms of reading via the Internet, Kindle and iPad are catching on yet I believe that few things beats the flipping of pages of a book of newspaper. Can you imagine reading a copy of Readers’ Digest in the bathroom on a digital book? You won’t be able to dog-ear mark a page that you paused at! There will be no use for beautiful bookmarks. Greeting cards will become redundant through time with eCards. I like to open my bedside drawers for an actual copy of the scripture. I like to read a hand-signed welcome letter from the general manager of the hotel I am checked into, rather than a message on my screen.

I am enjoying the books that I buy from Amazon. I have a genuine excuse to catch up on my conversations with my friendly newsagent when I collect my copies of Triathlon, Triathlete and Runner’s World. Most of all I hope that books and magazines will continue thriving.

Having said all this, I still enjoy reading blogs of friends and receiving e-mail. Do you think that the certificate of qualification for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships was mailed or e-mailed?
Congratulations to Triathlon Family member Redzwa for completing Ironman UK in 13:57, his best time so far (his second in five months and a massive three-hour improvement)! It is a cold and tough bike course and he aced the ride with a PB. We are happy for you, mate!

No comments: