Sunday, August 22, 2010

Masters-Class Training, Part 1

There is a close correlation between training harder and injury as a Masters-class athlete. Once past your 40’s, you are more prone to injury due to degeneration of joints, through wear and tear. Training longer and harder (which is an inescapable feature of endurance sports) accelerates this process – we can only delay its onset.

1)    Training divided into twice a day. Same distance, split into two portions in morning and evening (if it is a long distance day). What I learnt from training with local running group AniMiles is that we must do whatever it takes to be prepared. Rain or shine, do your 50-60km before an ultramarathon. Run or walk. Be psychologically prepared.
2)    Change the running surface. Running on tar is better than concrete/cement paths. Grass, sand and trail are options to consider if your feet get sore.
3)    I recently incorporated barefoot running with Vibram Five Fingers. These are shoes that are shaped for your feet; each toe has a sleeve so that its stays snug. It hurts a bit, initially, as it is mainly forefoot/ball of toes running, yet it helps strengthens your feet. Take it easy for a few weeks. It trains you to keep good form. My friend, Marathon Mohan (who recently completed his 100th marathon) has run his last 17 marathons in VFF. My friend, Eng Boon ran for four hours on trail yesterday. Both are converts to the barefoot philosophy.
4)    Watch your technique and gait ALL THE TIME. I observe Chi Running posture, which I was trained in. I run forefoot and midsole only opting to select shoes that are less developed in heel, and more on the midsole.
5)    I do CORE STABILITY exercises regularly, and NO weights. I use only my bodyweight as I do not have access to a gym. I believe weight training helps with the swim and ride. I think developing my core was my recent success factor in races. It definitely helped my swimming these days. Elite Bicycle’s founder, David Greenfield prescribed for me a comprehensive menu of core strengthening exercises that suit my unique posture.
6)    Sleep is KEY. We need about 6-8 hours minimum every day. A nap before a workout help heaps. We need our bodies to heal and its takes longer for the mature athlete. Aim to sleep at a similar time each evening.

(Continued tomorrow)

No comments: