Monday, August 16, 2010

Switching Lanes and Shifting Priorities

Just for the next two weeks, the centre lane for local expressways has been reserved for the YOG vehicles. In the event one of these special Olympic Games buses or designated cabs comes into view, motorists are advised to give way to allow athletes easier access to our sporting venues.

Last week, I began a schedule of training before work (this refers to my volunteer duties as a national-level technical official). I trained before my shift, as it may be late by the time I finish work.

Yesterday, I did almost an hour of swim drill; the day before, I ran 21km before I attended a technical briefing. My body held up, except that my legs was a little stiff. I just completed a short session of calisthenics and core-stability exercises. This evening, I will run another 16-21km, as I need to keep my race fitness up. I have less than six weeks to Berlin so time is of the essence. Two more A-races separate this PB-seeking marathon. This switch between swimming and running allows my body to recover from my cumulative pounding on my legs, and relieves it with the cushioning effects of water. In effect, I am also switching muscle groups yet working my cardiovascular system.

Cross-training is beneficial as you work different muscle groups; in my case, upper boy versus lower body. Ultra-runner Dean Karnazes does 400 sit-ups, 200 pushups and 50 pull-ups, twice a day, when training for all sports, including ultra-marathons.

Do whatever it takes to enhance your body and spirit. You decide and act. Hesitation does lead to inaction. It is so easy to postpone your tasks and responsibilities. When you lead by your actions, passions and ambitions you may inspire others.
Singapore runners, Adam One-Armed Runner Khamis and Mohd Shariff Abdullah aka Blade Runner will be running the Beijing Marathon in October. I had the privilege to run alongside them in local marathons and they are highly inspiring athletes. We wish them all the best!

Picture/article: courtesy of Men’s Health magazine and Adam Khamis’s blog.

No comments: