Saturday, August 14, 2010

Locked and Loaded For the Games

Last night I watched the rerun of the Matrix Reloaded on television. I still consider it to be an awesome film that is part of a triumphant trilogy.

This morning, I ran an easy 21km before I headed home for a quick shower and then to the Toa Payoh Hall. During my run I saw many runners from the military that I believe were preparing for the Army Half Marathon/Bay Run. We acknowledged each other in a teasing manner as we passed by each other; among these was Victor Chan and Muscle Poon, both Ironman finishers and highly competent marathoners. Somewhere on my sixth kilometre, the front of one shoe decided to peel of like aged paint. I ripped it out carefully without creating an unsightly hole, and then continued with my purpose. I also saw David Tay talking to his large coterie of marathon pacers.

It was all official and respectful at the technical officials’ meeting this morning. The air was positive and focused on rules, respectful behavior and ensuring a safe and fair event. The room was filled with many seasoned and highly experienced international referees, marshals and jury members. We had a tour of the facilities then headed off for lunch. It was a hearty meal, with a free flow of fruit, cake and beverage. In the afternoon, our national technical officials moved furniture and equipment and briefed our staff.

I received my certificate of participation for the Youth Olympic Torch Relay on Thursday from my Secretary-General, Mohd Dali. This is a new piece of recognition for me, and a definite keeper and will sit alongside the special lapel-pin made especially for all 2,400 torch-bearers.

Tomorrow is the first day of the six-day weightlifting meet. I am looking forward to some excellent performances. Mostly, I want to experience the energy and enthusiasm of the youth athletes and volunteers. I hope that we express ourselves as gracious hosts.

No comments: