Sunday, March 28, 2010

Scripted Frenzy

Plot: Write a screenplay, television script or play. The target: 30 Days, 100 pages. Your challenge: finish it in time. The setting: at home on your notebook.

This will be my next quarterly challenge; all personal, and it is all about my discipline to stick to my guns, stamina and creativity.

Last year, I finished a winner in the NanoWriMo competition. I wrote 50,000 words in 30 days. Last month, I raised NZ$2,083 for the Cystic Fibrosis for Kids charity as part of Ironman New Zealand. At end-May, I will attempt to complete my first 84km Ultra-marathon held at sunset. Next month, I will attempt another writing test: writing a script for television, stage or film. I have one published play in 1995 that saw print in a book of compiled Singaporean plays. I had two plays commissioned for one-night only productions for the Ministry of Information and the Arts (MITA) in 1991.

I have not written a script for almost a decade and half, and intuitively, I feel one rustling inside me. I am sifting from book to book, getting a sense of my renewed writing style. In terms of pages, this appears less unsettling and frenzied as 50,000 words in a month. I believe I can pace myself well, as it is more focused on the story. I can format the setting, scenery later. I will need to flesh out my characters and thicken the plot as I progress. I haven’t even imagined what the end product will look like. I trust my unconscious mind and intuition will guide me on my erratic keyboard dance.

Anyone keen to partner me on this journey? I assure you – it will be fun, and will do wonders for your strategic thinking, visualization and personal expression.

No comments: