Saturday, March 20, 2010

Permissions & Permission Giving in A Permissive Society

Do you read e-books? EBook or e-book, is short for electronic book, and is also known as a digital book.

Do you derive pleasure from reading a non-fiction book or novel onscreen? I admit I do not own any of the digital book readers yet, although I have been advised to wait for the latest version of Kindle. Otherwise, I read any digital publications on my large-screen Mac. My online purchase of e-books comprise mainly out-of-print books magic books and manuscripts, and the occasional subject that intrigues me. I am fascinated by the notion of exclusivity, meaning if it is rare I would like my hands on it. Thus, my strong belief in customised equipment and instruction: make it personal, personalised and relevant to me - residual Generation X resides in my DNA, I'm afraid.


It is a wet morning, and having indecisively opted to sleep in (to rest my weary bones) instead of a doing a group 21km run (which I postponed till a drier condition ensues), I decided to review an e-book. The neophyte author requested a testimonial for his first e-book; he enthusiastically reiterated his request recently, and this was less than a week since I returned from my vacation.

I belief there is a plethora* of e-books out there; there are a myriad** of titles and it is confusing! Shopping on Amazon.com is a challenge unto itself. There are new releases, re-releases, director's cuts, and other configurations that I have yet to figure out. Plus, the sea of subjective and objective reviews just clouds one's senses prematurely. Yet, that's part of the process of shopping online and alone with your languid thoughts and lackadaisical manner.

Beneath the process of buying and writing reviews, is the skill of decision-making. How do you decide what and when to buy? It is part psychology, yet it is part desire, want, need, preference, prejudice and purpose. It can be part science, part art, and part with your money. But more than that! It is the permission we give somebody to spend our time on something they believe we should give them. Permission is not about entitlement or obligation; it is about obeying one's Law of Exchange, or reciprocity. Permission is sought.

When a world-class coach guides you in your physical rehabilitation, it reflects much on their character and professionalism when he/she asks: 'May I touch you?'

Has your medical doctor, massage therapist, physiotherapist, bike-fitter, and nurse asked you for permission before they touch you? Certainly, there are security processes in the world where they touch you (hopefully, with your degree of respect) in hopes of not finding anything offensive...and I do you hope, that you see where I am coming from.

I certainly hope that in our fast-paced world, of quick fixes (I roll my eyes if another retailer offers me stock parts of generic/standard sizes), microwave-ready, paint-by-numbers approach to learning and applying, that we value patience. I was taught very early in my life that patience is a virtue, and if the professional I seek in my time of need takes the time and patience to educate me and assist me - you can be assured of my time, my patience and my business. For the many teachers I had the honour and privilege to learn from, the ones I remember most fondly and appreciated deeply were those who were patient with me (and for my youthful impatience and impudence ). They took the time to see my potential, identify my talents and capabilities, and point it out to me.

Perhaps, we occasional miss the point that it is not about rushing through the task or service, but rather, activating our sense of urgency with a high regard for personal care and attention. When was the last time somebody looked at you with a sense of importance, curiosity and respect? When was the time a colleague spoke to you nicely and spared their time to explain something of importance to you?

Thank your for reading. Write or Tweet me your comments. I seek your permission to hear your thoughts, opinions and comments.

[*/** Writing students take note: Integration of difficult words in your writing enhances semantic density.]

No comments: