Friday, March 12, 2010

Business Lessons Learnt From Road Trips

The past week was a mini-adventure, of sorts, for me. My journey (as a rusty navigator) with my partner-driver, Melina took us from Auckland to Taupo, and back up. There is so much about leadership you can glean from working as a partnership/team when tensions can mount and tax your mind and body. I so appreciate the relevance of a GPS device, yet it may have reduced the moments of engaging and energetic arguments ('I am right - you are wrong!' and 'You are too slow!').

Knowledge Management expert, Keith De Larue wrote a very good piece on his 5,000-kilometre bike-ride in the 1980's. There are, interestingly, many parallels about riding and managing your own business. Although I do not ride a motorbike nor drive a car (in the legal sense), I can relate to the lessons that can be extracted from such endurance activities. Fitness is factored into long-distance drives or rides; not just in the 180km leg of the Ironman triathlon.

No comments: