Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mount Faber Run 2011

This morning I raced in a 10K race, which included a hill called Mount Faber. Not a very tall hill, being Singapore’s second tallest natural feature. It was my third attempt at this course, which attracted about 1,000 more participants this year. I saw new faces including my magic club’s member, Ali Shufi. He came in a strong 45:45 for the Open Category and I sauntered in at 46:30 in the Men’s Veteran’s Category. I think I was stronger and fitter for the hills this year, and near the podium slots – close, but no cookie. The field of entrants and finishers is getting wide and deeper this year, and it is an honour to run with seasoned and experienced endurance athletes. I also met a couple who did the Hong Kong Marathon; husband-and-wife complete the hilly course in 3:21 and 3:26 respectively, while Ben Swee did an easy 3:18!


Generally, I felt fitter after an Ironman race three weekends ago, and my interval training is kicking in. I hope to hold a 4:50 pace in Gold Coast in three weekends’ time.
Matthew’s race bib read the numbers ‘3333’ – the number 3 that in Chinese means ‘to live’. That is an auspicious number. This is not his first time having such nice numbers previously he had bibs that read ‘123’ and ‘789’. What are the odds of getting that? I envied his numbers, and hope that I will get something symbolic and cool in an upcoming race. My consolation prize was when the guest-of-honour – a politician – asked me a few questions before she was wrested away by an enthusiastic finisher for his promotional photograph. I spent the rest of my recovery time chatting with Victor Chan (a seasoned and regular age-grouper at 59 years young) about his recent disappointments about quality race-kits. I finally caught him on the run today, and about high time, as I have hoped to overtake this inspirational Ironman and marathoner in a race for years. He is so determined and focused that he has never walked the marathon in any race before. For the record, our race time difference was nothing to rave about. I am sanguine about my run future though.

My friend in Perth, Kevin also raced today and blogged about his experience of a getting a 10K personal best timing of 40:26. Congratulations, Kevin!

Congratulations to Sofian for his 4:29 finish at the Phuket Marathon today!

Off soon to an open-water swim clinic with Pete Jacobs on Sentosa island. Was there yesterday for an easy wetsuit swim. I have a few questions for Kona’s second-fastest swimmer and fastest marathoner last year. In case you are in town, he will be conducting another run clinic at 6.15pm, at the NIE Campus, Bukit Timah. Contact BPM Sports to confirm your slot. Having attended the sessions before, I strongly recommend it. You will learn to run injury-free, lighter, taller and, therefore, faster.

Since it is the weekend, here is my recommendation for inspiring and motivational materials to supplement your head and heart.

4 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Thanks for the mention, Enrico. Looks like it's the season for road run races. You did well in a hilly course, well done!

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks, Kev. You did very well so it deserves a mention. More speed to you. I was happy to feel stronger this year although there is still residual fatigue after Lanzarote. Keep us posted of your progress.

sofiantriathlete said...

thank you Enrico.
All the best to you

Enrico Varella said...

You are welcome, Sofian. More speed to you. Rest up and stretch your Archiles Tendon. My turn at the 42.195K in 3 weeks' time.