Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fund-Raisers & The Joys of Racing

When John 'Cookie' Cooke and I chatted last night about triathlons, the subject of fund-raising came up, naturally. We were agreeable about raising funds as part of our training campaign next year at Lanzarote, Canary Islands. As part of a unique Family of Ironman triathlon finishers, we have the ability and belief to make a change through our relationships, capabilities and experiences. We are a bike-rack away from a new acquaintance or future friend. Like attracts like.

He was raising funds for his next challenge. I raised funds for Ironman Korea in 2006, and again in Ironman New Zealand 2010. Both events enhanced my reasons to race. I felt it was richly rewarding for me to help in my small way; everybody deserves a chance.

I am thinking of raising more funds next year for Ironman Lanzarote and Ironman Canada. I have a few charities in mind, however they would be lesser-noticed charities. I have a soft spot for the physically-challenged (athletes and paraplegics) and may seriously direct my expanded efforts on this group. I will think through and decide shortly. My friends online and offline, have been very supportive and I intend to leverage on their shared sense of altruisim, charity and care. I want to connect with like-minded individuals and their cache of humane values - it is energising and enlivening!

Appreciate giving, and you will receive many folds in return.

No comments: