Monday, October 11, 2010

Pushing It of Punishing It?

How much punishment can we subject our body? How much can you push your body to its limits before it retaliates? Your mind may say 'go' yet your body may say 'slow'. 

After racing in nine Ironman triathlons and about 11 marathons (three of which were ultra-marathons), I learnt that my body could take a whole lot more testing (beating). Yet, everything has a limit to its ability to perform before it breaks down - a snapped chain or punctured tubulars in the rural areas is enough to give you pause. Yesterday, I met runners who did The North Face (TNF) trail runs on Saturday, who then completed the Newton 30K road run the following day. This morning, one of my students did the TNF 25K or 50K format then ran the 30K in 2:41. Without fresh legs, she was only six minutes behind me. I don’t think I would have gone as fast if I had spent my legs on Saturday on a trail run. I was glad I gave the grueling TNF100K Solo run a pass.

Our body is a highly intelligent and adaptive meta-system. It learns from experience – both pleasurable and painful ones. Within the recess of my mind, a small and distant voice is saying: ‘Perhaps you should have done it…’ However, the vision of doing my best Ironman performance on 5 December obliterates that voice of possible regret. Next weekend’s 15K New Balance Real Run on trail and road should quell it, and give me a stronger stance for my next A-race. Live and learn!
*****
The following announcement I make as a satisfied participant of training sessions I had last year with professional triathlete, Pete Jacobs. Pete did reasonably well at Kona two days ago, to place top-10 despite an unfortunate broken collar-bone earlier this year.

On behalf of BPM-Sport.com, you may be interested to train and learn from the professionals like Mirinda ‘Rinnie’ Carfrae and Chris ‘Macca’ McCormack. These two seasoned pros won the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii on Saturday. The next camp with Rinnie will be held in Phuket, Thailand on 4-8 November. The camp is aimed at all athletes, with groups to suit all levels and abilities.  Comprising intensive training sessions, the camp will help you get ready for upcoming races with an emphasis on the Asia Pacific 70.3 Championships, Laguna Phuket Triathlon and IMWA. You will also have time to ask Rinnie her secrets to success while sharing a beachside sunset drink with her, and there are a few special surprises in store too!  

Please contact Nicole Gallagher for details (+65 9009 9421).

No comments: