Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Intensity May Be the Name of the Game

I posted, two days ago, on the social media networks my meeting with a student who ran both the 25K in The North Face (TNF100) race on Saturday, followed by the 30K in the Newton 10.10.10 Challenge 30K Run on Sunday. Her second run was done in about 2:41. She shared with me that she runs about 4-5 days per week, about 10K on a hill.

That is amazing considering that she does not do any speed-work such as intervals or tempo. Perhaps, less is more. The scientific research points towards shorter but more intense, frequent sessions. Perhaps my previous ironman program of 11-21K sessions done at tempo pace, worked best for me? I am working out my preparation for Ironman Western Australia, which will be my second attempt on that course, and my tenth long-distance triathlon in five years.

Hill training develops strength and power. Include it at least once a week to encourage your muscles and cardiovascular system to experience more intensity.
*****
Singapore secured its sixth and seventh gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India. Our shooters earned four gold medals so far, and more is expected from table-tennis; the total weight in gold has exceeded Team Singapore’s gold medal tally of four, set four years ago. We hope to earn a few more first places soon. I hope this bolsters Singapore’s sports culture through our athletes, fans and sportspeople.

No comments: