Monday, October 25, 2010

Having Friends Over

When was the last time you had friends over for dinner? Have you invited friends to join you on a vacation tour? Have you invited close confidants to give you feedback on a public presentation you made? What was that like?

It is a tough decision when you have limited spaces and group dynamics can be challenging. Who sits next to who matters, as it will affect the energy of the group if there is any hint of awkwardness and residual resentment. Our workplace is rift with an abundance of confusion and misunderstandings.

A few hours ago, on Sunday evening, I invited a dozen guests over to my magic club’s 60th anniversary gala show. This show featured some of our best professional talents in magic. We showcased an astonishing array of magical acts including J C Sum and Magic Babe Ning, Jeremy Pei, Jeremy Tan, Gician Tan, Joseph Then (ventriloquist) and Sherman Tang. American, Jay Scott Berry who is a musician and magician was our only overseas guest artiste and lecturer.

I was glad I invited my colleagues and good friends. They in turn brought along friends and family who they thought would enjoy the experience. It is important to place our sense of faith and trust in our friends, colleagues and associates. Having made that decision to invite them, I was also glad that they enjoyed the event, as I was mindful of their commitment to attending. It is so good when everything falls together well.

Thank you for making my evening special, my friends!

No comments: