Saturday, October 30, 2010

Exceeding Personal Expectations

This week has been an unexpected one of results. The over-riding factor was that I used every available hour to ride or swim – two areas that required immediate attention in the next five weeks.

My training preparation has been based on a 3-on-1-off approach; that is, three days training followed by one day of rest. This seems intense enough yet spares my body of depletion and fatigue. I kept my sessions short and intense, with interval-rides on consecutive days. Same mileage but done with more speed and power, stretched over two or three days. I also did short bricks of run-swim, or swim-ride. Just this evening, I rode for about 75 minutes worth of intervals, with warm-up and cool-down. I did one hour of swim drills at midday, before work, and that was one training load off my mind.

Tomorrow morning, I intend to do a moderate 21K at 5 minute/K pace – just to keep my run-legs reminded. Can’t wait for Sunday – my double-century ride on my roadie. I will ride 200K with Hui Koon on Coastal Road; we should be doing about seven loops of the 30K circuit and rehearsing race-day nutritional needs. Most of our feeding will be done on the bike, with Gatorade as the main source of fuel (plus Power-Gels, Power-Bars, et al); that is also the official racecourse hydration system. Incidentally, Hui Koon and I engage the same coach, Craig ‘The Fox’ and all three will meet up at Ironman Western Australia on 5 December. It should be a memorable event for me, with personal expectations of a PB in the 11-hour range. The week should end in the 15-20 hour total training range.

1 comment:

Kevin Siah said...

Hey Enrico, thanks for the comment on my blog! If you still need accommodation in Busselton, you can actually room in with me, if you don't mind and if you are travelling alone.

My girlfriend was meant to come with me, but she had to go to India for a workshop. I'm staying in Amaroo Motel, I've booked the place from Friday to Monday. There is a double bed and a single bed. Let me know ya!