Sunday, September 12, 2010

It Doesn’t Happen On Every Sunday!

This morning, at 5.10am, thousands of runners were flagged off for the Army Half Marathon/Singapore bay Run. I was among the front of the pack, as I did not want to be bogged down by playful runners and stragglers. Last year, having parked myself far behind, it took me a long time to get my rhythm and space. Eventually, the pack disintegrates into sub-units where you can latch on to, when you find a pace that suits you best. I overtook more people than I got overtaken, so that was a good sign. Running through the finisher’s chute with a strong kick meant I had some left in my tank. I was pleased for holding up to the challenge.

Learning points: Patience is a virtue, even when racing. Dr Ben Tan told me this morning that he takes many kilometres later before he finds his running rhythm. Go too hard too soon (usually if you do not monitor your heart-rate/pace) and you may pay for it down the road. I held a 5-minute-per-kilometre pace for most of the race, and I am glad I focused on the moment.

Enjoy the day. I met so many ex-students, friends and training buddies after the race. One awesome triathlete had to go back immediately as he just became a father two days ago. We will race at Ironman Western Australia in December.

The race is just an outcome. If you enjoyed a PB – great! If not, there will be other opportunities. I saw several disappointed faces. Heck – I could have been one of them, however I chose to accept my result. I improved two minutes over last year, and I felt good that I did not suffer the symptoms of recovering from this week’s flu. My big picture is the marathon in a fortnight’s time and an Ironman in December.

Manage my discomfort. I am watching over my injuries. The human body, being a systemic thing, responds with the implication of physical training. I have realized that cross training is important, and training exclusively as a runner did not do my body any good. I respond better with a menu of swims, rides and runs. Also, get massages done on a weekly basis if you tend to get tight muscles. Tight calves can activate discomfort, pain and unpleasant sounds on your knees, ITB, ankles, soles and heels. I had a relatively pain-free run, running light and free.

By the way, I saw more barefoot runners. A few of my friends wore Vibram Five Fingers, and the rarely seen huaraches (as featured in Christopher McDougall’s book, Born to Run). The latter is a sandal of sorts. Technically, you can run barefoot or in slippers without injuring yourself. My friend, Eng Boon scores a PB in this race. Congratulations, buddy!

Have a good weekend!

No comments: