Tuesday, September 21, 2010

10 Reasons for Being Self-Employed

A taxi-driver asked me yesterday: ‘How many hours a day do you work?’

My reply was calculated yet accurate: ‘I’m self-employed. I work very long hours sometimes.’

He willingly shared that he worked 18 hours a day, which activated my instincts. He looked visibly tired, and I was concerned about his alertness (or lack of it). He walked me (with a voice soaked with frustration, disappointment and a tinge of resentment) through his daily earnings and expenses as if I was his accountant. Perhaps, I had put on my counselor’s face during my eventful ride so he dumped his barrel of emotions on me. He also took me on a scenic route which was unusual, but I deliberately kept mum to passively gather more information.

I have been self-employed and in business for over a decade. I have learnt much about business acumen, independence, courage and confidence in those ten years. I have read extensively a plethora of books on small business, leadership, marketing and finance. I even sourced out the rare copy of Michael Gerber’s The E-Myth. I made myriad mistakes in personal marketing, negotiations and sales presentations in my formative years. However, I learnt much from my journey of staying in business, collaboration, partnership and alliances, and leadership.

Here are 10 reasons for being self-employed:

1)    You decide on your lifestyle: work-life balance, life-work balance, or work-life choice.
2)    You determine which are your needs, charities and luxuries (Yardley and Kelly).
3)    You learn to appreciate relationships in all facets of your life.
4)    You create your working schedule, so there is some flexibility (for more breaks and vacation).
5)    You get versatile with digital technology and Social Media tools.
6)    You learn to be decisive, both individually and in a team.
7)    You can be clearly focused on your priorities in your life.
8)    There is no excuse to be lazy for too long: you work, you earn.
9)    You appreciate your time, and other people’s time.
10)   You will appreciate the notion of profession, expertise and discipline.

No comments: