Friday, September 10, 2010

The Honour Code

Professionals abide by a body of ethics that allows them to practise their disciplines and craft. There is even an honour code among thieves (that is, thieves do not steal from thieves). Our behaviors need to be appropriate in our families, in public, with colleagues, with business associates, and with travellers. The common denominator for all these relationships is values.

Some of the core values that comprise ethics and other moral codes include integrity, honesty and trust.

Values should be kept inviolate. When somebody trespasses your values, you will detect it. Values and beliefs are to be respected, not openly challenged, as there is no clear right or wrong.

Never sell somebody stuff they don’t need. Up-selling is fine, but not over-selling. Turning a profit regardless of observing ethics in business puts you at a disadvantage through time. Your reputation will exceed itself and customers will avoid you like the plague. Bombarding your e-mail list with letters to purchase can be deemed as excessive and inappropriate. Asking for permission to mail, and giving the option to ‘opt out’ are expected these days, as people have choices and their values need to be respected.
******
I am recovering from a mild bout of cough and fever. I have deliberately avoided exercise for a few days, as I believe that my body needs to heal from this shock to my system. Surprises and shocks pop up; usually at the wrong time. However, we need to learn to cope and respond to these exigencies and disappointments. My last A-race before the Berlin Marathon will be this Sunday, so I will just run – that’s all I know – my best race on that day. I hear that the weather in Europe is nice and cool – am looking forward to a scenic and historical race.

2 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Wow, didn't know you were going for Berlin. All the best!

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks, mate! I will do my best in spite of the string of strains and pains I am experiencing. 21K in a few hours' time. Cheers.