Friday, October 1, 2010

A Wet & Wild Run

Last Sunday's Berlin Marathon may have been one of the coldest in years, and it was certainly one of its wettest. Cold and wet, my Mother tells me, is bad for aging bones. I used to laugh at her for it, but now I just ache in silence.


I ran with a brown beanie (woolen cap), Superman-blue compression-top (Skins), a blood-red 70.3 World Championships tee-shirt, running tights and a pair of racing-shoes. Around my waist was my race-belt, eight gel-packs and my race number. I was cold with fear and warm with excitement, however the cold overwhelmed me. Shivering burns additional calories and I may have not fed myself adequately. I learnt that you need more sugars when fighting the lower temperatures when racing in Europe in autumn.


To keep warm, run closely to a large pack of runners - but pick your pacers wisely. Run too fats too soon and you'll flatline and go straight to Bonksville. You don't want that.


I ran with wet shoes. Strangely, but appreciatively, I had no abrasions or bloody toenails. I did not lose any toe-nails as I am wont to suffer. I put Vaseline on my toes and so it may have helped tremendously.


Perhaps my destiny lies in warmer climates like Asia where the heat and the humidity play. Racing Ironman in December in Perth should be a breeze after this cold spell...

No comments: