Monday, October 25, 2010

Making Time and Squeezing It In

Take a sheet of paper and pen. Write down: What matters most in your life now? List about 5 things.

Whatever your list was, those things listed suggest your priorities in life. If it were important, it appears on this list. You also, unconsciously, ranked what matters to you. Will you make time for these things? I am certain that you will. We tend to do more of what matters to us: our well-being, health, career, finances, happiness, family, travel, etc.

As I am preparing for my tenth Ironman triathlon, I make time to train as frequently as I can. At this stage, it is not so much about distance and endurance, as it is with speed and intensity. My run legs are primed, and I need to focus more on my riding and swimming. My target is: fresh legs after every discipline. I have dedicated myself to squeeze out packets of hours to swim or bike or run.

This evening, with a gloomy forecast, I did a two-hour bike ride. For most part of the ride, I pushed into the wind. I attempted intervals, and pushed mettle to the metal and tar. My legs felt strong enough to last through the 90 minutes, which pretty much depleted its enthusiasm. The bidon of High-Five carbohydrates before and during the ride helped, and I did not experience a dip in my energy. I believe that if I continue with this approach, I will be able to match with the Big Boys on the Tuesday evening ENR Ride. Time invested will spell into results and that well-warranted smile!

No comments: