Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Overlaps, Oversights and Overlooking the Precipice of Possibilities

Pardon me for my enthusiasm over alliterations; I could not resist the wave of inspiration that washed over me. I was watching the Commonwealth Games and was alerted to the segment on Synchronised Swimming – I think the ladies are hot…cool…hot…cool…I am undecided. Their nose-clips look like the next fashion station, but I digress.

I suspected it, and now it’s true. I have double-booked myself for two running races on Sunday. I realized, to my consternation, that I signed up for both the 10.10.10 Newton Run (30K) and the Mizuno Wave 10K Run. Discerning the two eastern-based races, the lesser of the two challenges appears to be the 10K run, however it may be too fast and too furious for me since my brief hiatus from tar-plodding after the Berlin Marathon. I have yet to collect my race-pack, so we’ll see how my choice pans out.

It should be interesting if I run the 30K: I am not suited for trail running, as I have been focused on road running for too long. Plus, my legs are still recovering from the 42.195K I completed two weekends ago. Sounds like an excuse - perhaps.

What do you do when you realized that you have committed to two events? What happens when you say yes to two people you know, when you should have declined one. You could have, inadvertently, penned down two meetings that overlapped in timings, or agreed to two dinners on the same evening. Worst, you forgot about one engagement as you were enjoying another. How do you extricate yourself out of this predicament? How do you excuse yourself? Or, do you make an excuse for one?

No comments: