Sunday, October 10, 2010

Digging Deep & the Kona Connection

Chris ‘Macca’ McCormack won his second Ironman World Champion title this morning. He completed in about 8 hours 10 minutes, with a smashing 2:43 marathon. A very strong runner, he strengthened his bike ability and swam close to the big boys. This is his second win, a rare notoriety for winning two such titles in this hot and windy island of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. This should mute his naysayers who think that he could not pull another winning title after his 2007 win, and subsequent pullout in 2008 (due to a faulty bike-derailleur) that denied him the chance to defend his title. 2-time Kona winner Craig ‘Crowie’ Alexander was relegated to fourth although he posted a spectacular 2:41 marathon time.

This amazing two top-4 wins, plus Australian female compatriot Mirinda Carfrae’s championship title put the Aussies in major contention for the next year. This may suggest the beginning of a reign that is analogous to the Europeans' in the 1990’s.

What I learnt from watching the online broadcast of Kona was ‘digging deep’. When you push harder, and draw on your reserves you are digging deep. All the professionals had to dig deep - emotionally, physically and mentally. If you wanted something really badly, would you have pulled all the stops just to inch your way forward? You may need to dig deep to secure a better position even if your hopes of winning are dashed. If you missed your chances at personal bests, then finishing the race becomes the litmus test of your character, fitness and reputation.

This morning, I joined my triathlon and running buddies (AniMiles, Triathlon Family, Team FatBirds) in the Newton 30K run. The 3-loop race started just after a mild rain that may have worried a few of us. The first 20K was moderate and manageable, I was doing a sub-5 minute per kilometre pace, however I slowed down to keep to a consistent 5min/km shuffle. The last 10K were much harder, and I had to dig deep (focused on the finish line, and holding my intended pace). And, it hurt. When your breathing becomes laboured, you are in the anaerobic zone and the longer you immerse yourself in this zone, the lactic acid accumulates in your muscles.

I was thinking: what were the 1,900 athletes at Kona including the professionals thinking as they race? How much did each of them have to dig deep to earn their positions? Perhaps, the digging and soul-searching occurred way before the race began? Yesterday, some of my friends dropped out from The North Face (TNF) 100 race. I’m sure that they explored their psyches as much as they did the rugged terrain.

Dig deep, I did. After my 3:37 at Berlin Marathon two weekends ago, my 2:35 run this morning was assuring. Sure, I missed my 2:30 target, but I was pleased I stuck to my guns and ran as well as I could for the remaining 10K. In that last brutally taxing 55 minutes I was glad I kept moving, enough to take over dozens of strugglers and stragglers. It is a pitiful sight to see runner slow down to a walk, yet you are one of them, too. When my turn came for my free massage, the masseur dug deep into my muscle fibres to release my tensed muscles. I actually suffered a muscle cramp on my hamstrings, 10 metres from the end-point!

My legs are recovering, and I look forward to my next tapering race: the New Balance 15K Real Run. It takes place next Sunday over road and sandy trail. I wonder how much deeper I may have to dig in next week? It will surely depend on my fitness and my expectations.

No comments: