Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It Just Adds Up

Tonight, I rode again – my second consecutive evening. My legs are still strong, save for the last 7K of tonight’s fast 30K ride with my buddies from Eastern Night Riders (ENR). I like this group, for they have a sensible yet competitive attitude towards riding, are protective of their pack, and because the ENR is the first three alphabets of my first name. Perchance I may be a patron of this group one day!

I started my late ride at 6.45pm and did my hour or 30K equivalent of interval training on the 2K stretch of straight road – ruler-straight as a landing strip. After a quick comfort break, I joined the group of seven riders for the fast and furious pedaling session. Aristol and Tee went off like a rocket, overtaking a lone rider who, subsequently, gave chase. I led the second pack, doing my best to brave the headwind. It was windy, since the road circumvented the major airport runway. I managed to hold fort until I was overtaken by one of our younger riders who is preparing for IMWA, too.

Little things count. Every kilometre ran, swam or rode add up to one’s fitness. It matters that every muscle is stretched or core muscle activated. Our body responds to physical stress by coping and adapting. With adequate rest and recuperation, we become stronger, faster and more enduring. A student asked me today how I coped with training and my family life. I replied that I use whatever time I can, even if it is short to churn out a hard workout. Short and intense replaces long and moderate, or longer and easy (Long Slow Distance). You can enjoy cumulative gains as each session builds your resilience and robustness.

Keep doing the hard yards, disciplines, chores, training, and practice. Practise new skills regularly; apply what you have learnt. It will add up to your results and outcomes.

No comments: