Friday, October 1, 2010

To Change or Not to Change?

I have been reading friend's blogs about how they may have to change their running posture. This is a very relevant question as it is strongly linked to comfort, exacerbation of injuries, training, and performance.


When we were younger, it was about instant gratification; as we aged, it was about 'delayed' gratification - knowing when to stop, or be patient. A 'no' was a 'no' and you absolutely did not exceed it, especially if it was a rule. Rules are rules; flout them and face the consequences. You draft behind a cyclist, and you may earn five minutes in the 'sin bin' at Transition 2.


Having altered my running style vicariously in recent years, I have reconsidered my options. These are:


1) What is my current state of fitness?
2) Which are my recurring injuries?
3) Which movements cause the most pain and discomfort while running, and while at rest?
4) Which posture feels the best?
5) When does the discomfort emerge?
6) Which active and passive forms of treatments am I applying?
7) How am I responding to treatments?
8) What am I doing right?


These are the barrage of questions I ask when I analyse my physical problems. An expert can be very useful and relevant in the areas of sport performance and recovery. Personally, I stick to my knowledge and experience, yet continue to do small experiments with technique and style. I use the Chi Running style, focus on core stability (pelvic tilt, activate Transverse Abdominus), proprioceptive work ('sightless balance'), barefoot running (to strengthen my feet and calves), stretching, strengthening (weights, hills, steps), massage and chiropractic interventions.


Seems like a lot? Change may include myriad other smaller changes. It has systemic effects on our body and mind. When do we 'need to change' is different from 'want to change'. Think over what needs to change versus what you want to, and will change. We change for the better, not for the worst - it's counter-productive and counter-intuitive.
*****
All the best to my friends racing at the Desaru Long Distance Triathlon this weekend! I certainly missed the hot and humid races in recent years.

No comments: