Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Turning the Ride

Just as I suspected: the strip of road I cycled on tonight, was also shared by another cyclist. He, too, rode it up and down, like a predictable yo-yo. Traffic at the U-turn was somewhat heavier and I had to be acutely alert I was not in the path of an urgent motorist. I did my 35K worth of interval-laps, albeit on a makeshift circuit on the two-lane, linear road. My legs were still slightly sore from Sunday’s three-quarter marathon, but the ride seemed to help flush the lactic acid and toxins out of my quadriceps.

This morning, I met three ex-colleagues; one of them was on home visit. Based in Seattle, he has been enjoying his weekends as he related stories of long, arduous, hikes and his foray into the 70.3 Ironman. Well done, Ed! One other was the founder and editor of popular website, REDSPORTS SINGAPORE. We enjoyed catching up on war stories and regaled at each other’s career. I was happy for their success as unique individuals of distinction. One salient point brought up was how executive advance themselves in their careers: by sheer luck, talent, experience, competencies, guts or riding on the coattails of others.

When was the last time you connected with old friends and colleagues? Do you participate in networking? Are you an active or passive networker? How short is your Six Degrees of Separation? Do you actively engage in conversations? Do you go out of the way to visit a friend or business associate? Have you communicated with them face-to-face (actual meetings, video-conferencing, Skype) instead of electronic mail?

This afternoon, I walked a friend through a presentation he would be making tomorrow. I coached him through a PowerPoint approach, with Guy Kawasaki’s 10-20-30 Rule (from ‘The Art of the Start’). I worked him through his value proposition, his personal branding and design. I believe that he will do well since he is riding on his personal mastery.

No comments: