Monday, May 2, 2011

Pacing, Spacing and Retracing Your Steps

This morning, at about 7.00am along the East Coast beach, I ran 21K with Brian (who won yesterday’s TriBob Mini-Sprint triathlon – his age group, and overall standing) and his friend Gary (who completed IM New Zealand recently). With my trusty Garmin Forerunner 310XT, we took an easier warm up pace for the first 10K, and returned with a fiery fierceness for the return leg. We had a negative split difference of about seven minutes. Brian and I leached lactic acid in our legs as we drove the last 2K at about a 4:15 pace. It was well within our expected time as it began to rain. I was certainly off my prescribed pace (by Coach) for 4:36 minutes per kilometre, however was glad for the effort (5 minutes off my intended, solo pace but not as enjoyable).

We had a chat after the run, refueling ourselves with an electrolyte drink. We discussed training for an Ironman, recovery methods, pacing, bike fits and how to deodorize stinky shoes. The latter included removing insoles, and soaking soiled shoes immediately, for 30 minutes with washing detergent; then, you air-dry them. Direct sunlight (although great for removing organic smells) may denature the material through time (bleaching the colours and desiccating the rubber), so do that with caution if your shoes cost too much.

Throughout our run, I noticed several things:

1)    We met runners – familiar and stranger – with varying social responses.
2)    Some would shy away from us by sidestepping us as we approached them (even averting eye contact).
3)    A Caucasian mountain-cyclist greeted us ‘Good morning!’ to which we returned the pleasantries.
4)    A large group of cyclists gathered and rode off in green t-shirt; it was, obviously, for a non-competitive cycling event.
5)    Familiar runners would return non-verbal gestures of acknowledgement.

Such are the social behaviors of runners, although we can surmise that they are respectful of each other’s efforts. For a public holiday, it was interesting to note that the running and cycling tracks were packed by 9.00am. As Brian preferred, it was better to get the training done early and recover after that.

Back home, as I retraced my steps online with GarminConnect, I could see my pathway on GoogleEarth Maps. I could analyse where I slowed down, and when I picked up the pace. Studying this set of data, I learnt what I could do in the near future. Retracing our step is like taking steps back and recalling our exact tracks. Jogging our pleasant memories is akin to that. Thus, every event or occasion can be relived and retold with enthusiasm.

No comments: