Monday, May 23, 2011

Diary of Lanzarote (Part 6)

Lanzarote is seven hours behind Singapore time, so I have received text messages on my mobile phone while I was sleeping. I apologize if I glossed you over, however rest and recuperation are my priorities now instead of surfing for mentionables at 4.00am, anywhere in the world.

We depart the beautiful, yet menacing island this evening for Barcelona. My trusty bike is packed, and I have never touched so much bubble-wrap in my life. Thanks to Craig, my handcrafted bike fits nicely into his expensive Sircon bike case. I am thankful for such gestures of generosity - beers when I am back, mate! Most of my race nutrition has been spent, save for a few sachets of powdered, caffeinated sports drink. I intentionally reduced my caffeine intake as I was responding too well to frequent bathroom breaks during my ride. Pissing on the ride was risky because of the gusts we experienced during the ride.

I was at an aid-station, and after topping up my fluids in my aerobottle I innocently asked, Aseos?' which meant 'toilet' and the quizzical looks by the volunteers led me to translate into English. The police showed me the side of the retaining wall made from the island's predominant rock. I smiled and scooted off for an alternative moment of relief.

My legs are not as sore as usual, and I attribute it to my new running techniques learnt from Pete Jacobs. My legs are stiff and tender to the touch but I am not walking like the wounded. Riding on ISM saddles were comfortable, however my buttocks are sore now from eight hours of riding. That is a new record, I assure you!

The congratulatory note are pouring in still. At last night's Awards Dinner we were introduced to a participant, Albert (from Holland) who did 16 Ironman Lanzarote races! A Loving father pushed his daughter in a pram throughout the marathon leg. She looked so alive when she raced with her Dad, and she was also awarded a medal for her enduring efforts! It was a special moment of the triathlon that reminded me of the Hoyts. Her Dad said: 'She is more attentive on the run, and alert to the world.' That was a special moment that does touch your soft sport.

Ironman triathlon is more than self indulgence (and self gratification) and, at times, it is for many of us. As the Kiwi, Lardman (who won two consecutive Kona slots at the lottery, and I personally met) shared, triathlons take fifth a place after his wife and children. After the race, the medal go into a shoebox and we wear our finisher-tees occasionally. We invite the ad hoc question of 'What is Ironman?' Our responses get creative by the year, but with no animosity or arrogance. I have never met so many humble people in life, as in Ironman races.

Life is too short and precious to be overly narcissistic, indulgent and self-possessed. At the end of the race, we have our memories to cherish, conversations that we shared, learnings that we assimilated, and friendships we may have forged. Learning to be thankful and appreciative is what matters. Give back what we take in. The Marina21K run is taking in used shoes for charity. Do help them, and support the cause. As a tribe of endurance athletes, we can enhance our cause by supporting others. Karma has a way of boomeranging back in different ways.

Have a great week everyone, and make it so.

1 comment:

Kevin Siah said...

A really tough day in the office, well done! Congrats on completing another Ironman!