Saturday, May 21, 2011

Diary of Lanzarote (Part Quatro)

Exactly twelve hours to the race start.

I watched CNN and it was reported that the end of the world is tomorrow, well according to an expert doomsday expert. Shall we listen to Hollywood or a Nostradamus follower or an ancient calendar? Well if it is tomorrow, can we ask for 17 hours grace as we attempt to finish the 226K worth of swim, ride and run? Somebody's reputation is going to get buggered!

My partner, Mel volunteered for tomorrow with bag sorting. I am a strong believer of getting your Iron-Mates involved in my madness. She gets a nice looking t-shirt for her efforts while I need longer to earn mine. Ideally, in much less time than my 2007 foray on this beautiful island of the Gran Canarias.

With 1,500 competitors there is millions of dollars of serious speed weaponry on the Transition Area. There ar many Orbea bikes, since the brand is manufactured and born in Spain.
The run route is littered with many bars, caves and restaurants. I will stay focused on my marathon and ignore the sangria-laden revelers on Saturday evening. I wish to run in during residual daylight.

John and I met lovely couple, Mark and Helen from Manchester, UK. Mark will be doing his second IM Lanzarote after last year's. Helen volunteered for today and tomorrow. We met world class paralympians - awesome wheelchair athletes: sprinters and Kona finishers and world record-holders. It was a jaw-gaping experience to hear war stories from tougher athletes than us. It is humbling to meet athletes with fierce determination to succeed despite physical disadvantages. I appreciated a few drops of inspiration from them. I kick my own backside for slacking, while they train in some of the harshest weather conditions in Glasgow, Scotland or Manchester.

I have done what I can do, and all I can do is have my dinner, relax and rest up. By the time I post again, I would have crossed the line, showered and ate a hot meal, and hopefully, find no reason to lick my wounds. Carpe diem! May all training, rehearsals and good judgement prevail on Judgement Day.

No comments: