Friday, May 20, 2011

Diary of Lanzarote

My apologies for not posting for two days, my friends! Two days away from my 11th Ironman triathlon, and preparations are in full swing. Four years after my first successful attempt at this 20-year-old race on one of the Canary Islands, and it still feels like my first race here on this arid island, off the African continent.

The first hour of the ride brings you through barren land, save for what can survey in dry desert conditions, on what was a volcanic island. The remnants of the last, earthly, ghastly gag of incendiary spewtum and phlegm, yielded an island of natural wonder. Agriculture thrives, with hardy people, a tourist industry, and for the past twenty years a magnet for pain doyens, who crave a 17-hour physical challenge. If that was an immensely long sentence (and I cautioned you about that in our writing essays), so is the 226K challenge called Ironman. On Saturday, 1,500 athletes from about 14 country, will attempt what is known in triathlon circles as one of the toughest bike rides on earth. Certainly, hyperbole and superlatives sell tickets and race entries, however there is inherent truth and irony in this claim.

More about Lanzarote and its uniqueness after this...

Thank you, well wishes for your kind thoughts over the social media. I will do my best! Cheers!

No comments: