Saturday, January 15, 2011

Working in Wicked Ways - Well, Sort Off

The first time I heard the word wicked differently was from my friend, Michael Hartley-Robinson’s son, Junior. Junior used the expression in abject amazement when I performed a magical illusion for him and his brother. That was when I realized that the word wicked had different meanings, that it need not be negative and nefarious in intent. Let your language serve you, and not just you serving the language. Lead in your language, or languish in despair over its complexities.
Wicked is a Broadway musical that was launched in 2004. Popular TV musical drama, GLEE featured this song as well as the original lead actresses Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth. The two also made cameo appearances in a few episodes of Season 1 of GLEE. Wicked is the precursor story of the two sister witches in The Wizard of Oz; the Wicked Witch of the North was good before she turned. I missed watching this musical on my last trip to New York, but endeavour to do so this year. The lead singers of this production were wicked! The range of vocals to achieve the song Defying Gravity requires serious vocal chops to deliver with conviction.

What have you done recently at work that was wickedly beneficial to your team? How many wickedly clever ideas have you proposed to your clients that made them pay generous attention? What have you done for your colleagues and clients, that made them sit up, and exclaim: ‘That’s wicked!’ 
*****
This morning’s swim, led by our fearless leader, Matt was not as wicked as I thought it would be; he had to head home after our morning dip to move house. An easy 4-lap or about 1.4K as the tide was receding in the lagoon. We followed that up with a 4.8K run at a fast pace, however not wicked enough. I did not spew mucous discharge from my respiratory system, although a very fit (and 5kg lighter) Vijch and ‘Barefoot Muaythai’ Lap Huan provided the motivation for me to increase my running cadence. It was a smaller group of swimmers since New Year’s Day, however we met new faces that may be new inclusions to our fortnightly open-water swims. I am hopeful that more will turn up as key races emerge.
Catalog of actual running shoes used by team.
Heavy hesitation before the run: crawl-pace to the start-line.
The pause that refreshes: Baring our body and soul about marathons and stuff.
Lacing up my Avia Avi-Stolz shoes: useful for trail runs and short road races.


Photo-credits of Sentosa Swim: Richard Leong

2 comments:

Matty Wong said...

My sincere apology, will ensure better swim/run sets for future training. No more Mr 'Nice Guy' from now on...

Enrico Varella said...

No worries, mate. You had to depart early. Moving house is a challenging proposition. I recall the emotional wear-and-tear I had when I last migrated.

Actually, Fearless Swim Leader, the sets you dispensed were adequate. I feel worn out after this weekend. Thanks for facilitating the swim. Good debrief between sets, Mr Nice Guy.