Saturday, July 16, 2011

When One Door Closes, Another Opens

This morning, I taught my class the final module of a personal leadership workshop. Their mood was positive and they were highly participative of the physical challenges that I posed them, and highly engaging with my questions. Perhaps, the finale of any performance, experience or process deserves a sense of celebration. And, we did celebrate in fun style as I taught them a fun cheer, with dance choreography and lyrics.

Despite having their last three sessions on a Saturday morning, it was so easy for my students to complain about having their weekends affected. However, it also stands to reason that by attending these sessions, they also created opportunities in spite of potential losses to their recreation and pastime. The choices are simple (although not easy): to learn, or learn to live with it.

All good things come to an end, clichéd as it may sound. So does suffering, unless you decide to prolong it. Suffering may test your mettle or some value like perseverance, persistence or tenacity however it may not build on other positive qualities. There is no crime to enjoy your life, and derive some sense of pleasure or satisfaction out of it.

My friend asked me: ‘What is the opposite of hate?’ I answered, albeit superficially, ‘Hate.’ He corrected me: ‘Indifference.’ Indifference is about not caring, and that can be a form of suffering we do not want to enchain ourselves to. The world will always have ‘haters’ and their sole purpose in life is to hate things and sow their seeds of discord. However, there are other choices of behaviors if we choose to exercise them. Learn to appreciate things in a different light. How long can haters disagree and resist before they tire of themselves?

Attempt to open doors, or even windows of our minds. There is always a window of opportunity if we are patient enough, or bold enough. Ask, and you may get. Don’t ask and you’ll never get or know.

I am glad I asked a few questions and made requests. I haven’t received any ‘no’s yet, and that is the optimism I create and positivism I tap on. Sometimes, a possibility is enough impetus and motivation to set the wheels in motion.

Onward!

Leadership Lessons: When was the last time you opened doors for yourself, professionally? How long did you hesitate when there was a window of opportunity, before you lost the chance? How do you keep you mind open to possibilities? Who have you been indifferent to lately?

No comments: