Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Rollercoaster Effect

G'Day, Everyone!

Day two of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS): not as bad but my legs are stiffer with residual soreness. I did not feel much of its crippling impact on Sunday as I suspect that adrenaline was flooding my post-42.195K body then. My official results showed me off my PB by two-and-half minutes. I missed my second Boston Qualifying time; I will have to apply in September with my Hong Kong Marathon time. Such is life! Move on is the operative phrase. You can choose to brood over upsetting results, or choose to result in further upset. I choose neither. I have another 21K race next week, so I am patient about it. I did enjoy PBs in my 21K, 25K and 30K at the recent Gold Coast Airport Marathon - I relish the memories and my strategy - no guts, no glory! I gave 100 percent of myself on Sunday, and have no regrets about it. Another day, another way. 
One day more till we depart for home. We were just at Warner Brothers' Movie World for the entire day. We took the new ride, Batwing Spaceshot - a must-do if you're here. You get catapulted up about seven storeys, then a partial freefall, bunjy-style. You get a few more such oscillations before your heart settles down. A few more rollercoaster rides including the Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster (for its reverse drop, and hair-raising, hairpin turns) and the infamous, heart-dropping Lethal Weapon 2 ride - free-hanging legs. I screamed like a girl - not proud of it - but it held me through the 45-second ride with no whiplash symptoms.

Which were your hair-raising moments in your life? What was it like experiencing rollercoaster moments in your professional life? In business, we occasionally experience such heart-thumping and heart-wrenching times when we receive unpleasant news. Investors in stock-markets need to brace themselves for erratic market behaviors, much of which are beyond our control. You may miss your flight due to bad weather or QED. These inreconciliable periods are akin to your partner wanting to do the ride,and you hesitating for one fleeting moment. This can skew the emotional and attitudinal balance of partnerships and alliances. Do, or not do - there is no try as Yoda would grunt in abject annoyance.

When participants of a race have differing expectations from race organisers, this can exacerbate into online vitriole that explodes into one-sided arguments and diatribes. Invariably, personal expectations exceed public and published ones. It is in such rollercoaster moments that we question our opinions, and review our perspectives.

Ups and downs - such is life!
*****
Just won an online contest for most articles submitted in June, so that's my consolation. I am looking forward to some rewarding collaborations and alliances. One step at a time before we conquer those huge mountain trails and summit those peaks. Thank you for tuning in!

No comments: