Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Weekend of Fast Riders, Ironman Swimmers, and Rabid Running in the Heat

Today is the Port Dickson Triathlon, as well as Ironman Switzerland; a sizeable team has gone up to compete, including several Ironman finishers. It is also Stage 20 of the Tour de France. Although Andy Schleck performed admirably well, it looks like Alberto Contador (with a 39-second lead) is destined to wear yellow again after a powerful showing on the time trial yesterday.


As I write this, Team Singapore is safely out of the water. I am pleased for them, and wish them a good race. There is competition with the Usual Suspects (from ENR) and I how this spurs them on to do their personal best times. The occasional bets can disrupt one’s train of thought if not taken too well. There is enough undue stress in the race preparation to accommodate more defocusing distractions. Tune in to IronmanLive.com for real-time coverage of the leaders and your friends.


I ran about 24km (at 160bpm) and just under 6 min/km pace, along the beach in the heat, hitting the midday sun in my face with full fury. I decided to call it a day after I decided that it was a tad too hot. Also, I did not carry enough carbs (in my bidon) to sustain me for another 6-8 kilometres. My body decided to push its heart rate up another 12 beats due to the heat and so I called myself in. I hydrated with water, and once home, I took 5 grams of L-glutamine to reduce muscular breakdown and boost my immune system.


A large group of shoppers huddled at a demonstration table at my local Mac Store. I am keen on getting the iPad 64GB model with 3G capabilities. Until I learn more about this device, will I then make the purchase! A MacBook Pro is also tempting, so I better consider thoroughly before I make my informed buying decision.


My interview in Mandarin in the new program New Kids on The Block (Channel U, 9.30pm, Wednesday) enjoyed positive comments, mainly for my competency in the Chinese language.  I had quite a few re-takes, mainly for my constipated pauses (I intended them to be dramatic pauses), licking of my dry lips and tongue-twisting phrases. There were a total of three broadcasts, and the producers aired only one of my coin magic routines called Shadow Coins: with a cast of shadow, coins mysteriously teleport themselves to one corner of the matrix pattern. The other - my signature piece - last seen on Mondo Magic Singapore (on AXN) was edited out. C'est la vie!

No comments: