Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Don’t Run Unless You’re Being Chased

This evening, I ran 19km in a light drizzle. I thought it was important that I did, because I had rested for three days due to the monsoon season. It was a cool but humid night, and I fueled up with an SIS sports drink in a water bottle. I was glad I did as I got my second wind towards the last 3km of my easy run. I overtook two runners: the first one let me off, and the second stuff with me like super-glue for the remaining 2.5km. He was already huffing and puffing when I overtook him at the lagoon, and was relentless. He gave chase and I could hear him pounding the path as I increased my cadence.

He continued in his pursuit as I attempted to drop him. Something instinctive in me wanted to drop him like a hot potato. Because he decided to stick to his guns and give chase, I committed to holding on to my purpose: all or nothing! It was either he or I. Not a hard choice, really! When I was taking a well-deserved cool-down walk, he passed me without acknowledging him and he continued running. Maybe he was testing himself…

As I sit here, writing this blog and nursing a mildly strained inner thigh I reflect on my personal challenge (and Armstrong’s tough sixth placing at today’s stage of the Tour De France). The leader lost his lead on the last 1km mark, and it must have been devastating! Armstrong is not known for his sprint prowess, and so he had to contend with sixth; he could have started his sprint too soon. This hilly Pyrenees Stage 16 of the Tour was supposed to have yielded him his single win; we have to wait till Thursday to find out. Perhaps I should have let the guy overtake me earlier…
My interview on episode two of New Kids on the Block - in Mandarin - will be on Channel U, 9.30pm tonight (Wednesday, 21 July 2010). It features two professional hobbies every week, including Drifters in Car Drifting, Flamenco Dancers , Mixed Martial Arts, Magicians, Flash Mobers, Lomographers, Vertical Marathoners, Cosplay, and Lego lovers.

No comments: