Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lighten Up…Will You?


I had a smirk the entire way back in my 11km run last night. I recalled what my coach said about smiling during endurance training and races, and how it lessened the severity of the discomfort. It worked astonishingly well tonight, as I did not experience any pain in my knees, ankles and feet.

I had a short spate of aches and pains during my runs over the past two weeks. This may have been due, mainly, to an unconscious shift in my running technique: unsteady gait, lazy foot drop, and a weakened core. I had avoided my core exercises and I think the trigger effect was that the discomfort domino led to a wave of soreness. It could also have been a reaction to the ultra-marathon I completed a month ago. Systematically, sometimes, it has to get worst before it gets better. My discoveries were:

1)    I also focused on keeping my feet closer to the ground, so as not to waste unnecessary effort.
2)    I focused deliberately on landing on the joint in my forefoot (ball of toes).
3)    I leaned forward more and looked about less than three metres forwards.
4)    I also increased my cadence (foot turnover) by taking more but smaller strides.
5)    I used an old pair of shoes that I raced my marathon PB with half a year ago. (Recall I said I would be experimenting with barefoot running and Vibram Five Fingers shoes)
6)    Overall, I felt my landing was lighter (as I almost shuffling my feet along).

In other words, I lightened my foot impact on the ground. Dr Ben Tan described in his book Fit For Life (2009) that the feet experiences anywhere from 3-7 times amplified bodyweight depending on whether you are gong uphill or downhill. Do be careful when you land as your sprint downhill. In fact, you would be safer if you take smaller strides and lean backwards, downhill, so that your centre of gravity stays behind you. Read Ben's book, as it is well written, highly researched, and inspiring. I am applying the wisdom in his book to prepare for Berlin in September.
When things go wrong, the gravity of the situation will sink in eventually. When people take themselves too seriously, their relationships become awkward. They limit creativity, openness and connectivity.

When you stop enjoying what you (and what’s wrong with enjoying yourself?) do, then it becomes a painful ordeal. As my dear friend and renowned magic creator Lewis Jones would offer whenever I visit him in his London home: ‘Do whatever you like!’

Be happy. Free your mind. Free your feet.

No comments: