Wednesday, July 7, 2010

There Is No Shame…

…In dropping out from a race! This is especially so when you have covered a wide expanse of space and distance. It is a painful experience and choice, yet we may have to consider it sometimes.

I recall having a conversation with a respectable age-group triathlete, where he accused a professional triathlete of dropping out of a race deliberately. He reasoned that the professional knew that he had no chance, so decided to call it a day. The pro lives to race another event, where he/she stands a better chance of earning the purse.

When do you call it a day? Have you ever done that? Leaders may be called to task, since their competencies and experience will be questioned often.

Personally, I have not in a race although I have done so during training. I reckon that I could always continue with training the next day; and split-training workouts are not unusual.

If you risk injury or your safety, it would be wise to stop your activity. Where there is smoke, there must be fire. If you more than suspect that your body is in trouble with the heat, physical damage, or illness – slow down or immediately cease all activity! To finish the race, while risking potential and imminent bodily damage, would have meant losing your focus. Your mental focus will shift many times throughout the race or training session, yet we need to be mindful when this happens.

You are either aware, or not. Nobody can teach you to be aware; you choose to do it, and you focus on what matters at that time. Being aware is about being alert and decisive. When I raced in Ironman New Zealand in March, I went in with a clear agenda to finish, especially after the disappointing and disastrous swim cancellation in the weather-ruined 2006 race. My sports doctor encouraged me t thoroughly consider my options: I could race provided I did not swim and risk getting water in my cheek fractured face (fear of infection), keep my wounds dry, and pace myself carefully. With one frustrating month of compromised fitness and confidence, I completed my race just after dark with no personal best timing. I would not trade my completion for anything else for there was a personal and perverse sense of accomplishment. Like the Olympic Games it took me four years later to enjoy the full 226km distance! I never think of dropping out; giving my best performance is my goal and motivation. Being silly and myopic is not my criteria of doing well.

Congratulations to the Singapore team that attempted Ironman Austria and Ironman Frankfurt! For those who could not complete due to injury and GI issues, recover well. There’s always another opportunity to race.


Macca blogs about having no regrets. This is one of his finest pieces. It is his insight and hindsight about the Ironman Frankfurt. The future of Ironman triathlons seems secure. You can respect the Man!

No comments: