Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Staying Safe and Sane in Senseless Situations

I was closely monitoring my team-mates’ performance at Ironman Switzerland yesterday. Some of them scored PBs, and a few did not finish. As much as I was disappointed for them, I was however assured of the fact that they would not have dropped out except with good reason. One fell of his bike, another had difficulty in the water, and a few succumbed to the flu.

It was, certainly, not easy for them to call it quits. These are mates I train with, and I have profiled them for their tenacity, persistence, perseverance and determination – they would not have chickened out were it not for more serious issues. Plus, their individual investment into the race amounted to more than just money; it included training time, sacrifices, and mental pressure. Nonetheless, I wish them all well and a great vacation ahead.

I had this conversation a week ago. It revolved around the fact that one does not know what to expect in their first Ironman race. It is akin to parachuting off a plane – there is no reference to one’s fear until the second jump! Likewise, after one 226km race, one’s body may dread the next endurance experience. After nine such races, and completing them all, I cannot imagine have a disqualification (DQ) or Did Not Finish (DNF). Giving up due to discomfort is not in my DNA coding. Perhaps that is why I hobble like a cripple/crab the days after an Ironman. I think that my pain and discomfort exceeds all the teasing and criticism I get for indulging in such an extreme sport.

Chrissy Wellington blogs about her recent, earth-shattering, Ironman triathlon finish at Roth.

Hot on the heels of the TdF, have you considered Tour De Bintan? It is a 3-stage race that spans 168km in total (56km, 74km, 38km respectively). It will take place on 16-17 October on Bintan Island, Indonesia.

No comments: