Thursday, April 15, 2010

Random Thoughts on A Run








Nothing beats long runs for demonstrations of the sheer joy of mundane living. Run, plod and drag.

That is what I noticed again when I ran 30k last night on the running/cycling track at the East Coast Parkway. I admit I occasionally leave the discomfort of a hard concrete track for a softer tar road, as joints do give feedback: both immediate and long-term feedback. I switched lanes at my Coach's urging and I trust his advice which came from current experience, too.

There was a significant number of runners running yesterday evening. When I completed my 30km loop, it was almost 9.30pm. I suspected that these dedicated runners were training themselves to the heavy humidity and time for the adidas Sundown Marathon on 29 May. I understand that leading sports medicine physician, Dr Ben Tan shared in a recent running clinic that runners are expected to brave the heaviest humidity of the day when the ultra-marathon begins at 6pm. Unfortunately, Singapore enjoys humidity levels of about 80-100% year-round (ith average temperatures of 24-33 degrees Celcius). Expect, like I did last night, to be drenched completely in your faultless perspiration.

I was dressed in my 2-piece, triathlon attire (the one I bought at the 70.3 Ironman World Championships 2008) as it helps reduce chaffing; it is figure-hugging and comfortable, with two rear-pockets at my lumbar region, that I use fully to stick my money, Power Bars, and Hi-5 energy gels.

Many thoughts crossed my mind last night, and it can include reflection and epiphanies: a good activity to activate whole brain thinking. I ran my race strategy for the ultra-marathon including nutrition plan and the run route itself. I am glad that this year the route will be flat, and comprise two loops, and take place on my usual run route. I live about a kilometre away from one stretch of the marathon route.

More long runs to follow, and this will include weekend marathons and even a 60km run if all goes according to plan.

2 comments:

Teo Hui Koon said...

You go mate! :-)

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks, mate. And you, too for Japan. I still have my work cut out for me. The rainy evenings is disruptive to our training schedules.